Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Narragansett Bay
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 13
I went with a 1500 Lewmar S/L vertical for a number of reasons:
1. This was a replacement for an original vertical unit, so the hole was cut
2. The chain locker is very deep (as required)
3. I like the motor unit below deck, protected from weather
4. The gypsy takes > 3/4 turn of chain, providing better traction (horiz. gypsies are < 1/2 turn)
5. The vertical capstan is more versatile for warping lines
6. The smaller profile reduces deck clutter on my foredeck.
Someone else can chime in with cons.
True Blue . . .
sold the Nauticat