SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a sailboat -- how to minimize maintenance?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Some of the new boats tout features that make maintenance easier. Better access to electrical panels, reduced teak etc.

Your Honda accord does not have:
  • Six water systems
  • Three electrical systems
  • A kitchen
  • A bathroom
  • Two propulsion systems
  • Two braking systems
and it does not spend most of it's time in a pressurized electrolyte like your typical simple 30' boat does.

If you get a 20' boat and eliminate many of the above systems it is easier to maintain.

I get to hang out socially with some of the marina workers. Some of the boats they work on get regular attention and maintenance is easy. Some get attention only when something breaks. It's often hard to fix and expensive.
I have been doing as many non-professional surveys as possible the last few months and I think I have learned something. No boat, that I have seen, is maintained 100% properly. There is always something that the owner considers too hard, not worth doing or dangerous or it just never occurred to him.
A boat can look perfect but if you look hard enough you will find the one thing neglected.
For example: Every few years the rig should be completely disassembled. If tangs are screwed or bolted on they should be removed and inspected for crevice corrosion and reassembled with Tef-Gel. How many rigs have you seen where the tangs have not been touched in 20 years. If they were serviced every few years they would last for ever. If left alone they will corrode and things break.
There are hundreds of these little things. I have never found anyone who does them all although I suspect it is not a 28,000 boat.

And don't even talk about bad repair jobs. Sailors are for the most part do-it-yourselfers. Many of them have non-mechanical jobs. I helped a guy move a boat today. He had just re-bedded a chain plate. He was proud of his repair because the deck was gone and he hooked out some rotten wood and forced some polyester crack filler in the gap. This was all done today with the temperature around 30 to 40 degrees. This is not the exception, it is the norm on the sub 30g boats I've been looking at.

Has anyone spend a lot of time looking at 50 to 100k boats. If so does the lack of maintenance and bad repair job deal go away?

Last edited by davidpm; 12-08-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook