SailNet Community - View Single Post - shared ownership- trade equity for upkeep and fees?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I like toast's deal. Personally I wouldn't give any equity away at all up front. That's hard to unwind. For example, if the guy turned out to be a total flake within the first few months - and you've given him 25% equity, you know have to buy that equity back from the flake who only made one fee payment.

It makes more sense to me to have that 50% number defined for both parties (I'd actually recommend 49/51, etc. in your favor), then put whatever money the guy tosses into the kitty against that amount. They get into a nice boat cheaply, and you get some relief.

The biggest hurdle will be the definition of "taking care of the upkeep". This can leave a lot up for interpretation. So you should really spell that out clearly.

Do you have any lawyer buddies?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook