SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a sailboat -- how to minimize maintenance?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009

Sparohok is on a distinguished road
Folks, I really appreciate the feedback, keep it coming! This is very useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
So you are about to plunk down $250,000.00 on a boat. The price of a house in many parts of the country. You honestly expect us to believe that you are going to buy a boat that saves, theoretically, a few hours a year in maintenance rather than the boat you like.
Absolutely. The cost of money for a $250,000 boat at current rates is something like $20,000 a year for 20 years. From what I've read I can easily spend $10,000 a year in maintenance over the long haul for a boat in this size range. BarryL suggests 7 days a year for which a local yard would charge $5600 plus materials. I would do some of the work myself, but my own time is commensurate in value. That's just routine annual maintenance, not major repairs or refits.

Whatever the number, it's likely that lifetime maintenance raises the TCO of the boat by a significant factor. In the example above, reducing maintenance by half would save as much money as a 25% discount on the boat purchase. For an older, used boat, maintenance cost completely overshadow financing cost. So why wouldn't I make it a major criteria that may even influence the basic geometry of my boat? Money talks, and I just want to go sailing.

Martin
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook