SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a new (used) boat
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009

plethora68 is on a distinguished road
Buying a new (used) boat

I am looking for a boat that will fit many purposes. I have a cash budget of about $50,000. I am going to moor it on the Columbia River near Portland Oregon. I have a family and would like a very stable boat from 32 to 38 feet in length. I would like a boat that has a full keel, and is very seaworthy. I plan on taking it across the Columbia River Bar and then sailing it North to Puget Sound and the inside passage during the summer months.

I have previously owned and sailed many boats. My last boat was a Kettenburg K 38 from 1953. It was very fast, but also very wet. I have been looking at a few distinct designs, but have not sailed them. One is the Tayana 37. It looks like a nice boat, very seaworthy, but also very heavy. I have also looked at the Hunter H 34, it seems quick, but a bit tender. I want something nimble, but also super seaworthy and able to handle serious seas and take the pounding. Having looked at the Hunter I am skeptical. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Yes, I would love a Hallberg Rassy or a Hans Christian, but they are pricey.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook