SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wood vs. Fiberglass
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009

AndrewMac is on a distinguished road
She's plank on frame. The coldmolded boat was a sheath over the old plank on frame construction. A number of people on the thread warned against this method (with good reason as I understand there are a lot of poorly conceived/executed examples of this). Partly as a result of the warnings I got here, I spent a LOT of time researching the means and methods used on the "coldmolded" version and got very comfortable with the quality and durability of the workmanship on the hull. Unfortunately, the owner had used inferior plywood for the decks and cockpit when he did the rebuild in 1991 and that is where the rot was setting in.

The one other boat that I ended up considering very seriously was the Burgess designed Atlantic. Basically, I couldn't escape my love of the classic old lines/overhangs and was prepared to sacrifice some performance and comfort as a result. What I found interesting was that, of that generation of designers, it seemed that Burgess, more than most, managed to combine the aesthetic of the day with more modern performance characteristics. I ultimately concluded though, that the Atlantic made sense if I was going to race her a lot, but that the Triangle was going to be a more comfortable daysailer that I could also enter into some of the classic boats races around me in Maine....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook