SailNet Community - View Single Post - Windlass - Horizontal or Vertical?
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Our vertical windlass self-tails up and down into the SS hawsepipe w/o crew assistance. However, for security while underway, we cruise with a retaining shackle connected to the CQR shank. Someone does have to go to the foredeck to disconnect this, prior to windlass operation.

I installed up & down foot switches by the windlass, in addition to two remote switches, both at the pilothouse helm and aft deck helm, to keep my options open.

Another reason for choosing a vertical windlass, was to serve the two anchors on my bow pulpit rollers. As mentioned above by Wayne, a vertical unit can accept wide horizontal rode angles, so is the best choice for this application.

The windlass location on my teak foredeck though, is set about 22 degress below the raised bulwarks and pulpit rollers. Lewmar limits vertical angles to 18 degrees. Therefore, I fabricated a 15 degree, wedge-shape windlass base from a 2" block of teak for better alignment with the gypsy. Works like a charm.