SailNet Community - View Single Post - Info on Experience with Roller Furling
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2001

rbh1515 is on a distinguished road
Info on Experience with Roller Furling

My recently acquired new sailboat (26'')came with a Harken unit. Don''t know the price since it came as part of the standard gear. It should be pretty easy to call around and find out the prices for the different units. I was going to upgrade my previous boat''s old furler, so I did some research but then sold the boat. One thing to consider is whether you want a rigid system (like my Harken and most others)or a flexible system like the CDI. I like the Harken furler, but I think it would be nice to have a flexible system made of PVC. I live up north where you have to take the boat out of the water every winter and I have the mast taken down to store inside. I just hope that one year the yard does not bend or break the furler. You have to be careful with them. The CDI system though has a lifetime warranty on the system even if it''s run over by a vehicle at the yard--pretty incredible!! Also installation is easier with the CDI--it can be put on right over the headstay with the mast up in 30 minutes. With the rigid systems you have to take the mast down. Also, the CDI system costs much less than the others when I research it. I personally would go with the CDI. One other thing of note. Last year when I had my old sailboat, whenever I had a chance I''d talk to people at the dock about their furler system--everyone liked the system they had. I didn''t hear one complaint!! My impression is that most systems out there work pretty well. Good luck.
Rob
~~~~_/)~~~~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook