SailNet Community - View Single Post - Great Video on cold water survival
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
I did the polar bear thing in Barrow, AK a while ago. The water temp was 32, OAT was 34 and 8 Kts of wind. Three of us went in. We were wearing tennis shoes and swimsuit. We had warm towels standing by and a paramedic with a AED at the ready. We jumped in and the rules said we had to totally emersed the body. So I did, ran out, got a warm towel, drove to hotel room and used the shower to warm myself. The cold water took your breath away. I was in maybe 10 seconds at the most. After I thought I was warm and several hours later I still got the shivers. All this of this for a piece of paper. Apparently I am not done doing dumb things. Yes, I have been the various cold weather flying schools, I wear a dry suit and insulation under when I fly over cold water however I am now a believer of the dangers of cold water sailing. It will kill you rapidly by making you shiver so hard you have very little or no muscle control. All it takes is once.

Jerry
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.

Bruce Lee

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT ENFORCING OUR PRESENT LAWS NOW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook