SailNet Community - View Single Post - 13-year-old Laura Dekker around the world
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by lporcano View Post
As far as the danger of getting raped, the danger of that is far greater in the average American HS than it is on the open ocean.

I think that a good deal of the public criticism of this, is no different than the kid who doesn't want to see his parents open the closet door because of the monster inside. People are taking all their own insecurities and fears, both for themselves and their children, and projecting them onto a girl, family, and voyage, that they no very little about.
Len, I think Jasper was talking about some of the ports she'd be visiting. Some ports definitely are more dangerous than any HS in the U.S., no doubt about it. That said, if her parents are there then that part isn't quite as much of a concern. I still think she's too young though.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook