SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Bottom Paint for Trailer Boats
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Best Bottom Paint for Trailer Boats

I understand that the best bottom paint depends very much on where and how you use the boat. However, in addition to above, trailer boats present another problem. Most bottom paints require that the boat be put back in the water soon after application, otherwise the paint looses it's effectiveness.
On the other hand, trailer sailors often store the boat out of water for long periods and the process of loading rubs hard against the painted bottom, damaging many paints.

I have a 2001 Catlina 22 that I want to sell and I want to put it in the best appearance that I can. We previously kept this boat in water in the Chesapeake, but now it is on the trailer, where it will be presented for sale. When we pulled, we cleaned the bottom and it's ready for new paint, which we were going to apply just before it went back into the water. However, plans have changed and the bottom detracts from the boat's appearance on the trailer.

What long lasting paint have others used to keep both it's effectiveness and appearance when out of the water, but still be effective if the boat goes back into the water for a few weeks?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook