SailNet Community - View Single Post - Idea for turnbuckle cotter pins
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Many surveyors will flunk rings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I've used rings for years since they make adjustment easy. There is a risk of catching them with a sheet (especially when I used the blade on my boat). I have not taped them since that defeats the purpose of using a ring in the first place. A favorite set up for protecting the Ring-dings from snagging sheets and sails is to make a sleeve out of PVC tubing. I leave the tubing open at the top and can slide the tube up out of the way to work on the turnbuckle and let it drop down when I am done. That said, I have never gotten around to making a set for Synergy.

I am also a big believer in backing off the rigging tension and putting lanacote on the threads of the turnbuckle to minimize crevice corrosion.

Jeff
A sheet can catch them and there goes the rig. Other posters mentioned the same. Not a AYBC recommend practice, but common none the less.

I am also sure that this depends on the ring - some are terrible, some are solid.

You can get away with the darnedest things. If well taped, nothing will fail.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook