SailNet Community - View Single Post - Age and Seaworthiness?
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009
USCG Master 100 ton

flyingcarpet is on a distinguished road
I own a built in Taiwan in 1980 a one off of the Valiant 43 called a Polaris a real cruising boat with a low PHRF rating. It is Cutter rigged and a very stable vessel I have been through 50+ knot winds in confused seas with it. The vessel is Airex sandwiched between FRP and have collided with flotsam in very rough seas other than a big noise and nocking my laptop across the cabin, nothing but a few scratches on the gelcoat. Very minor damage for the a big collision. The vessel might be old but has been well maintained. Don't give up on old boats just look for the right one. Do your due diligence and don't be in a hurry. I looked for three years before I found what I wanted, would I have different things. Yes but I had to sacrifice somethings for what I wanted and stay within my budget. Would I have a bigger boat, yes, but would I sacrifice size for seaworthy, no way. Good luck searching as it can become tedious, but don't sacrifice what you were after because you are just tired of looking. And don't loose sight of your dream. You may say they don't make what I am looking for and give up. There are some nice fixer uppers to be had, just keep looking!
Cap'n Rich
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook