SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tablet PC for Display
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2006

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Stay away from tablets......

My wife and I are in the medical field and both use them on a daily basis. In two years we have gone through four different brands and they all currently suck! My most recent is an HP and it is so flimsy that if you set it down with one hand, instead of two, the case twists enough to cause the battery to disconnect requiring a re-boot. They are very handy for the work I do but DO NOT buy one for use on a a boat until they get the quality up. Part of the problem is that every manufacturer is in a race to build the lightest weight tablet and no one wins! Get a tough book or a dedicated chartplotter. The new Garmins come pre-loaded with ALL US watters. Laptops don't like the marine environment period so unless you're at anchor don't bring it above deck.

P.S. Written from my 4 month old flimsy HP tablet with four keys missing, a dead USB port, defective on/off switch and constant freeze ups among other things

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook