SailNet Community - View Single Post - Age and Seaworthiness?
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009

bluwateronly is on a distinguished road
Lots of information to digest, but for what it's worth- The area I would make sure is good is the chain plates. If they are the glassed in ones, be scared and replace them. This job is not so hard, I did it on a 1968 Ericson26 myself. I was checking the rigging one day before a sail and pulled on the forward lower stay and twang the chainplate broke. There was no sign of a problem from the deck or from the inside. After I ground out the old ones found they all had cracks and corrosion from water getting in at some point. If the chain plates are bolted on to a bulkhead or knee it's alot eaiser to check. The next thing is the thru hulls. I don't suggest giving them a whack while in the water but when you haul out, replace them. I have seen some that look fine but when a wrench was applied they just fell apart. This is all doable stuff on your own with some research and a bit of help. You might have to cut away some of the liner to check for rot, don't know any other way which dosn't meen their isn't. Grads on the new boat and have fun.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook