SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Bottom Paint for Trailer Boats
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009
Jace2

Jace2 is on a distinguished road
Okay, now what I'm about to say is probably going to sound crazy, and I'm not convinced myself about it. But here goes.

I read an article where an experienced sailor who has used this material stands by it. The material? House paint. That's right, regular old, exterior acrylic house paint. Sounds counter intuitive, but he said it's as good as any marine paint, and better than most. And MUCH cheaper!

I'm a professional painter and have been for over 25 years. I've used lacquer, poly, latex, acrylic, oil, and many others. I used to be a luthier (one who builds and repairs guitars) so I know paints quite well. And yes, the way they are making house paints with many different polymers and other such chemical properties is impressive.

I painted the underside of the metal canopy of a Sonic drive-in restaurant one time. The old paint was flaking and hanging like leaves in the fall. As I always do, I used a good quality exterior acrylic. With paints of this sort, if a small dime sized drop is found dried on a smooth concrete floor, you simply remove it with a putty knife. As a rule, it pops off quite easily. On this particular job, though, we had put in the additive Emulsa-Bond.

As we were loading the spray rig, apparently a small dime sized drop had hit my cousin's concrete porch and dried there. When I noticed it a couple of days later, I tried to remove it with my putty knife like I always do. It's easy. Usually it just pops right up. Not this time. It wouldn't come up. I scraped and shoved the rather sharp edge of the knife against the edge of the drop, and it wouldn't so much as scar. I'm not kidding, I almost had to hit the back of the putty knife with a hammer to remove it! I finally got it up, but its stubborn resistance to separation from the porch impressed me. Enough to put it on the bottom of a boat? Well, I don't know. It just seems wrong to put house paint, additive or not, on a marine vessel.

I guess, when the time comes, I'll check into it further and see just how strong each material is, house paint included ... that is, when I get a boat.

By the way, we checked on the Sonic three years later and the paint looked like it had been done yesterday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook