SailNet Community - View Single Post - Age and Seaworthiness?
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009

mgiguere is on a distinguished road
We have a 1967 Chris Craft built S&S designed sloop that is tough as nails. The mast is stout and keel stepped and every time we do some maintenance work, we are amazed at the construction quality as well as the thickness of the hull. It has never had hint of a blister, and I've had it off shore in challenging weather a number of times. I think each boat has to be evaluated on its merits, but this series seems very dependable. We took 2nd place in the Governor's cup a couple years ago during a rare year when the wind blew aggressively most of the night...many of the other bay boats were flailing and hanging on for dear life, while we were able to keep the 150 up all the way will little stress. On another occasion I hit a rock at full speed (cast iron fin keel with a bulb at the base-boat draws 6 ft). Hauled the boat out for a look, only a small chip where it hit...this type of strike would have destroyed the frame of many current day boats. Anyway, each boat has to be looked at on its merits, I think.

Moe
Crishelle
Apache 37
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook