SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are you training up your young?
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road
Both of my boys are exposed to sailing regularly. My 16 y/o is an assistant sailing instructor at the local community sailing program in the summer, and while he rarely sails with me, he is starting to race a little in the beer can races, and helps on the deliveries for longer races.

THe youngest son, 13, sails with us on the Wed night races during the summer, and while he doesn't do much yet, he is aquiring his own interest in sailing.

I found it better to give the the exposure and not push, than to try to force them to come along whenever I went out. Whether then aquire a life-long love of sailing remains to be seen, but at least they don't hate it, and are slowly picking up the skills they will need if they want to pursue it on their own.

At our yacht club there is a fairly even mix of sailors who's children won't come near the boat and those who are involved in sailing on some level. For me, giving them exposure is about my comfort level.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook