SailNet Community - View Single Post - Electric Propulsion - solidnav.com
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009

Aroostifer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
And its fairly sad that your better facts seem to be whose the real sailor rather than even post pictures of some of your working real world installs
Hey Tom,

Not sure if you were talking to me. I'll try to upload some pics of my real world oar installs. Very, very non-electric.

More pics of my boat at:

Macha, 6/1/08 - Lyons Imaging :: Our Galleries

To the other guy, those pics of Desolation Sound look beautiful. Again, I'll say that your boat philosophy depends on your priorities. If your deal is you want to cruise when there's no wind, then a motorsailor might be the best bet.

Why is it that we think "motorsailor" is an insult? It just is what it is, right?

My boat's builder and previous owner sailed her down the coast from Bellingham to San Francisco, where I bought her. He had sailed engineless up around Puget Sound, Gulf Islands, etc.

Down here we're blessed with really good afternoon thermals in the summer -- 20 to 25 knots pretty much every afternoon, so that definitely makes it easier to get around without an engine. Even in flukey areas and flukey seasons, it's possible to make it work -- but it does take patience and hard work.

Cheers,

- Ari
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook