SailNet Community - View Single Post - My first sailboat: Paceship 26 or Tartan 30?
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitefly View Post
The survey was completed this morning. There were a couple of things: muffler and exhaust hose on the engine, and one major issue - a 7' x 1.5' section of the deck under the starboard genoa track was soft.

Is this deck issue as serious as it sounds? I am about ready to walk away from this one, but the surveyor did say many other aspects of the boat (hull and interior) were very well cared for and in good shape.

If nothing else, I accompanied the surveyor all morning and got a good lesson on how to inspect the next one.
A deck repair is not a trivial matter...but in the big picture of an older boat, one, limited issue like amounts to "almost new". Most any boat will have survey issues, most will have a lot. Sounds like you are starting in reasonably good shape, a limited deck repair like this is only some $$$$ money, get a good yard to quote for you...more likely than not the seller will end up eating most or all of a repair like this. You found it, so will the next buyer, so the seller needs to deal with it. You now have more information, no reason not to move ahead if otherwise an attractive boat.

Just curious, what did the surveyor say about the keel "crack"?