SailNet Community - View Single Post - My first sailboat: Paceship 26 or Tartan 30?
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009

Nitefly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
A deck repair is not a trivial matter...but in the big picture of an older boat, one, limited issue like amounts to "almost new". Most any boat will have survey issues, most will have a lot. Sounds like you are starting in reasonably good shape, a limited deck repair like this is only some $$$$ money, get a good yard to quote for you...more likely than not the seller will end up eating most or all of a repair like this. You found it, so will the next buyer, so the seller needs to deal with it. You now have more information, no reason not to move ahead if otherwise an attractive boat.

Just curious, what did the surveyor say about the keel "crack"?
Thanks. The keel turned out to be a non-issue. He said it was just fairing and that the keel was probably rebedded at one point before. I did get one quote on the decking fix from a boatyard for $4200 (this was a ball park, they still need to actually go see the boat). The surveyor said it would be approximately 5k. Of note, my offer for the boat was 8k so this does add a bit. I'm pretty sure the seller is not going to deduct 4k from the price so if I want to pursue this boat, I may need to pay most of this repair on my own. I informed the seller of the issue and that I would make some phone calls and talk to some people and we could work on were to go from there.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook