SailNet Community - View Single Post - Used Aries Wind Vane -- Should I go for it?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009
1982 Skye 51

obelisk is on a distinguished road
Used Aries Wind Vane -- Should I go for it?

Hi all,

My Raymarine autopilot crapped out again--the second time in two months and I have about had it with all things Raymarine (mostly customer service!). The Type II mechanical rotary drive unit is still under warranty but has been nothing but trouble, so I've been thinking about the wind vane option.

Yesterday I walked into Camou, a second-hand boat shop in Buenos Aires and there was a three year old Aries staring me in the face. I pulled it into the aisle and played with it, brought together all the pieces and everything appears fine. It has hefty SS mounting brackets that will work on my transom with minor mods and also has the wheel adapter. However, it comes with a $1900USD price tag. From the quotes for a new unit that I got from Sail-o-Mat ($5000) this seems like a pretty good deal. What should a lightly abused, used unit run?

I think I'm ready to ditch the hassle and amp draw of the below decks pilot but any words of advice or warning are appreciated.

Jesse

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook