SailNet Community - View Single Post - PSC31 Core Moisture
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009

orientalnc2010 is on a distinguished road
Hi Rob,
I have found that moisture readings are best translated by the surveyor taking the readings. There are different meters with many scales and only a seasoned surveyor can best tell you how elevated the readings are in comparison to the rest of the deck. Moisture meters are not absolute so the results need to be compared to the percussion soundings. Does the surveyor describe the suspect areas in his percussion report, did these areas sound sharp and clear?
It does seem odd that just the areas around the deck fill/ pump out ports gave "damp" readings and no other areas around the other deck hardware were elevated. My personal opinion would be to remove the most accessible suspect fitting and inspect the core, then you can sleep at night.
Good luck and congratulations if you accept the survey, you are going to love the way the boat sails. Before you decide how to rig your staysail perhaps you should sail the boat for a bit first. I have a cutter rig also but sailed her as a sloop my first season and will continue to due so. When my plans include going offshore then I will know the boat well enough to choose what arrangement will make me happy.
PSC 31 #125
Ryoko
Oriental, NC
One of the two happiest days in a sailors life
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook