SailNet Community - View Single Post - Galveston Bay sailors check in.
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009
Ignoring Trolls in 2009

TxLnghrn is on a distinguished road
Irwin....
Welcome to Galveston Bay. Heading to Galveston isn't too stressful...Drawing 4.5 you can pretty much enter the ship channel anywhere north of Redfish...but if you want to feel extra safe, enter at the south cut just north of marker 61 (~100 degrees from Clear Lake Channel marker 2). Once in the ship channel you will find two depth tiers a 15-20 foot shelf and a 45-50 foot shelf. I stay on the shallow shelf to either side and run down. You can stay in the channel all the war to Bolivar Roads...but if you decide to break out (because the wind always seems to be straight up the channel necessitating motoring) stay in until you cross the Trinity cut and exit to the eastside of the channel south of marker 50. Avoid the platforms, once down to Galveston and Bolivar Roads area, keep a sharp eye, the tankers are still making 15 knts or so, and the Bolivar Ferry runs on about 15 min intervals. Head into the Galveston Channel leaving Seawolf Park to stbd. Plenty of depth everywhere south of Marker 25. Two marinas with slips currently Galveston Yacht Basin (409-762-9689) (requires a taxi ride ~$5-10 from the strand and Pier 21 ((409) 763-3321) at Harbor House on the Strand.

Wish I could join you, other plans though. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Michael
Hull #15
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook