SailNet Community - View Single Post - Partial Winterization for Continued Sailing?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Yes, sustained north winds on the Bay cause very low tides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine929 View Post
Nice thing about having a fairly simple boat design. Easy to get underway in various conditions. We just got 14" of snow. Doesn't sound like much until you see how the folks drive around here. Had a guy tailgating me for 5 miles last night when I went to pick up my daughter from work. We don't do a great job clearing snow either because we don't see much of it.

I understand what you say about the solitude. Peaceful. Went to sail a few weeks ago and the keel was resting on the bottom. Freakish wind and tidal conditions that left us with 4' of water. Been seeing a lot of flooding, also.
Several days ago I went out and had to winch my boat out of the slip! I have done this before - spin sheets to the dolphins and crank. I only do this if I am JUST touching, as the mud is very, very, very soft here. Also, the tide must be rising. Or I could just be more patient.

I am aground ~ 3 days a year, but that's what I get for a cheap slip. It only happens in the winter. Just a few weeks ago we had very high water - I think the range between the two was ~ 5 feet.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook