SailNet Community - View Single Post - Adler-Barbour Cold Machine
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2006
Cruise-aholic

yachtvalhalla is on a distinguished road
Four years ago I replaced my 13 year old Adler Barbour Cold Machine with a new unit. I was very disappointed to discover the RFI from the control module. My question to the tech support folks was answered ... they were aware of the problem but did not have a solution. They suggested a Faraday cage (as drwil has posted) ... i.e. complete shielding of the unit with copper mesh or the like. Too difficult for my installation so it's now standard procedure to turn off the unit before doing email, talking on a net, or copying weather faxes. The biggest problem is remembering to turn it back on!

As an aside, my 4 year old unit developed a leak where, the repairman says, all of these units will eventually leak. It's at the junction of the copper tubing to the aluminum tubing at the back of the evaporator. Electrolysis does it's thing here but the repair is simple ... La-Co epoxy sealer (sold for this purpose by Markal http://www.laco.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=45) .. but it must be done with pressure on the system. It's quite brittle after curing so an epoxy coating over that with the metal repair kits keeps it from moving and breaking.

Tell your friend the bad news ... another case of the marine industry flogging a product and forgetting the customer. If marine products were designed by other than landlubbers we might have a better choice of gear.

Terry