SailNet Community - View Single Post - 13-year-old Laura Dekker around the world
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb74 View Post
Glorifying a 14 year old who has taken 5K from her parents and disappeared is assinine. I really don't get some on here and have to think that a few too many drinks are affecting reason. This is neither the behaviour of someone stable and able to take on this task, nor is it any indication whatsoever that her parents have any notion of raising children.

Resourceful behaviour... I have a hard time believing some use this as the definition of what's going on...
You assumed that it was her parent's money, I didn't. Obviously stealing is wrong, but I didn't hear anyone accuse her of stealing.

Edit, okay, I can see why you would have thought she had stolen it from her parents, the actual newspaper text says ...

Quote:
Jens would not comment on a report in Dutch newspaper De Volkskrant that Dekker withdrew $5,000 from her bank account a few days ago.
I had read that to say that Jens (the mother ?) was saying that Laura Dekker had taken 5k from her (her own - Laura's) account a few days ago, but I can see how you could read that and think that she was saying that Laura Dekker had taken 5k from her (the mother - Len's) account a few days ago.

Yeah, if the kid is stealing then I wouldn't call that resourceful, but are you sure she took the money from her parents ? How did she do that, can kids just walk into a Dutch bank and take 5K out of their parents' accounts ? That's not exactly the kind of money you're going to get at an ATM machine. I just assumed the kid was using her own money.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 12-20-2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Addition
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook