SailNet Community - View Single Post - Clothing
Thread: Clothing
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I think UV ratings for clothing are yet another marketing ploy to charge more than an item is worth. In all my life, I have never had an issue getting sunburned through my clothing (Fishing, rock climbing, backpacking, field ex's in the Army, or long days sailing). Long experience has taught me I only need to worry about UV "exposure" for "exposed" skin and putting on any shirt or pants ends said "exposure". These clothing companies are selling a load of BS so they can charge $60 for a long sleeve t-shirt. I saw it yesterday while shopping for Christmas presents. $55 for a hooded sweat shirt just like for high school gym class, but this one had a shoosh on it, apparently adding $30 of value. Are you kidding me?

Anyway to bring my rant back on topic, I wear shorts and cotton t-shirts for most of my hot weather sailing. I do tend to wear shoes to keep the tops of my feet from getting burned. I keep a few light weight, oversized, button front shirts for cover ups and will pull them on when I think I'm getting too much sun. I also wear a large brimmed hat and I do use SPF 30 sunscreen 1st thing each day.

If you race, and might be wearing whatever you put on in the am all day with no time to adjust your clothing, one of the high tech full coverage shirts might be worth the cost, but a pair of inexpensive long pants will suffice to cover your legs. Columbia is one good brand that makes reasonably priced quick drying outer wear that are great on a sailboat or any other outdoor activity.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 12-21-2009 at 07:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook