SailNet Community - View Single Post - 13-year-old Laura Dekker around the world
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
BB and the group

It certainly may be the parents dream, but don't be too quick to say it ain't a normal reaction...I knew many girls way back, that much to their parents shagrin, that "ran away" when they were early teens, some from abusive family and fathers, some from Boys, some from problems...may be not the best solution, but it works for many

but I do have to give her credit...collected the money from the bank (hers or not...got an airplane ticket, got through security at the airport with a guitar and gear, made at least the one flight, likely two flights to get the islands, all this without "help"...

Whether it is "riding across the USA on a Harley", roadtrip, working the fishing boats, hiking the appalachian trail or what ever the dream of youth was for you....this girl did it... SHe appears happy in the pictures, so very little traumatization, no lack of self-confidence,

perhaps a "normal" 14 year old with a pretty deep bag of skills, that has been set aside, and in her world no one has "explained" why she CAN'T go...this is a kid that has been on the go without restrictions for some time..

I wish her happiness and success in her search...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook