SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dear Mods, Delaware Bay Heading?
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Weve done the Delaware many times on our way to New England in the summer. We usually go from the Patapsco to Reedy Island 5 mi south of the canal on the Delaware side. Then we weither get up real early or wait until; the express (tide) runs down to Cape May. Usually is a shorter day when you do it from Reedy to beigin with (42 miles) if you catch the current you go 8 knots for 4-5 hours. Comming back we usually can make it to at least the Bohemia...usually the Sassafras. Again you have to play the tides.

As was said the lower bay when the predominant SE wind runs against the tide...it gets ugly. Short...choppy....square waves. Thunderstorms can stop you dead if running against the tide and chop. We make the Delaware enjoyable by taking short turns at the helm...11/2 hrs and playing rock and roll. Best advice for Green heads is avon skin so soft and flyswatters. One year my wife and I counted 123 of them dead in the cockpit. Those who have never experienced a green head ( I lived in ocean city NJ for 20 years), the only good greenhead is a dead greenhead. They bite till they die.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook