SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ponce Inlet Florida
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
We went into the inlet trying to outrun a nice thunderstorm. The wind picked up to about 40-43kts just as we entered. We called Seatow on our way in to get local knowledge, as the inlet is considered one of the more dangerous ones on the east coast. Immediately upon entering, we anchored just off the first inner buoy, right off the beach, in 12ft of water and hung on tight while lightning landed around us, the wind picked up to 45kts, and the current picked up to about 7-8kts (even with over 40kts of wind, we were still pointing into the current). Anyway, the reason the charts aren't specific is that they have several small reds/greens that they move around based upon shoaling. From what we saw, favor the jetty side of the inlet and you'll do OK. Just don't speed through there (like the sportfishers). Once in, we saw "stable" depth as we worked our way south. A few miles down from the inlet you'll come to a fork in the road. It was recommended to us that we take the south fork since the north fork, while the charts showed OK depth, was shoaled. We took the south fork and found 14+ feet all the way through, but this was just after the heavy rain mentioned above. Anyway, worse case scenario, just give Seatow or BoatUS a call on 16 and ask for "local knowledge" on the inlet if you are unsure.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook