SailNet Community - View Single Post - Solomon Islands a must
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009
Future Catamaran Owner

OziDude is on a distinguished road
A few of my friends have spent time at Savo. I have heard so much about it and seen a lot of the pictures that they have taken. It will be a must see for me during my time there.

Smackdaddy - I think I remember where Gnossi Ridge is (so many ridges) between Panatina Ridge and above White River. I use to love getting in the 4WD and getting myself lost only to find my way out again. I use go up past Borderline, past the Japanese War Memorial until I had a great view out over Henderson Airfield to Iron Bottom Sound.

I have a bit of an interest in World War 2 history in particular the falling of Singapore and battles in the Pacific. I had no shortage of things to do when I wasnt working.

As for the current political situation, it does change from time to time. It mainly affects Honiara but if you avoid large gatherings that can pop up from time to time you are less likely to be involved in anything. I cant see that many people would be staying in Honiara because the Solomons have so much more to offer.

There is so much to see and do and as Smackdaddy has said the Western Province is a pretty good place to start.

The weather is great, the water warm, and if you get to the outer islands, crystal clear.

OziDude
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook