SailNet Community - View Single Post - What is a Deck-stepped mast and keel-stepped mast
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2009

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Great discussion of the pro's and con's!

I was one of those, who blindly assumed that a keel stepped mast was a stronger, better design. Recently, I have read a few similar articles that have exposed the fallacy of those assumptions. While, I'm not prepared to convert my rig, or sell my boat; I can attest to the " water in the bilge"
Last year, I stepped my mast to pull the baseplate blast it and paint it, (among other things) I also did the same with the foot of the mast. Luckily, it was timely. If ignored long enough, I could see where it might have become neccessary to cut the base of the mast, and build a new base plate. I wonder how often that happens?

Another interesting point: I've never suffered a dis-masting, and hopefully never will, but my instincts would tell me to cut the rig away completely, (bolt cutters), or IF remotely feasable secure it and lash it to the deck.

Towing it as a drogue, would have never occurred to me. ( visions of a torpedo). I'd be interested in what technique would be employed to do that.
You're obviously running down wind at this point, you'd have to get a long line/warp attached...

If the stick is on deck why not lash it there...and deploy a drogue..
.if it's in the water...keeping it around while trying to attach it seems very dicey.......(although the whole situation is)

This is not criticism, but very educational for me.

Last edited by Tempest; 12-24-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook