SailNet Community - View Single Post - What is a Deck-stepped mast and keel-stepped mast
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Tempest,
My comment about using the jetisonned rig as a drougue was not well explained. My thought on this was that a spare anchor rode would be tied to the wrecked spar as a way to control it and as a safety measure while the rig was being separated from the boat. Once the standing and running rigging was detached from the boat, the anchor rode could be eased a few hundred feet to allow the abandoned rig to be used a sea anchor/drogue. And once things quieted down, the rig could then be winched in and salvaged as possible.

Cormeum,

The reason that I favor a moment connection at the deck (as described above) for a deck stepped mast is the mast will behave like a keel stepped mast in structural terms of being a fixed end condition and so the stump length, or the ability to keep the mast up if a shroud parts, in theory would be the same as a keel stepped mast. But with a moment connected, deck stepped mast, offshore if the upper portion of the broken mast were beating the boat to death it can be unbolted and jettisoned.

Respectfully,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook