SailNet Community - View Single Post - Low Cost General Tools Moisture Meter?
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2009

davidpm is on a distinguished road
I have the Electrophysics CT33 and I taped the conversion scale to the front of the unit. In reality you are only really interested in maybe four numbers. Soaked, kinda wet, kinda dry and dry.
The problem is that false reads are still very possible.
It can read soaked if it is picking up a piece of stainless on the other side of the glass your are measuring.
It can read dry if due to the curve etc you can't get a good contact or because the core was so wet at one time and is it gone now and is just air.

In general I have not had much luck with General products, they are the low of the low end. But in truth with a lot of testing you may be able to figure out the four numbers for your meter. Worse case you could make up or find a piece of glass and put wet and dry core under it and test until you feel you can read it properly. I'm planning on doing that with my Electrophysics as it is more about if the numbers make sense and their relationship than the specific number.

That being said I've found it good advice to not argue with MS as he has been doing this for a long time. And if $60 is peanuts then double that is what, two peanuts. It seems the wrong tool to experiment on as it is so fuzzy to begin with.

Last edited by davidpm; 12-25-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook