SailNet Community - View Single Post - Low Cost General Tools Moisture Meter?
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
This is a great tip. And yes it makes total sense.
Any tips on interpreting readings.
For example I took a reading about 2" from a chain plate it showed soaked, pegged the meter.
I took out the chain plate and could find no moisture around the chain plate.
So it seems unlikely it was dry at the chain plate but wet two inches over. So I'm trying to figure out what happened.

At first I thought someone may have filled right next to CP but left the rest of wet core. It didn't look like resin in the CP hole, it looked like plywood.
What was under the deck? Backing Plate, wire chase? Moisture comes from many places some of them though not the most obvious, like the chain plate. The cool thing is that it usually leaves a trail and you can often follow it back to the source. Unless vacuum bagged or scrimp built there are always voids and pockets where water can collect as it wicks along this could have been one of those pockets too.. Did you compare the surrounding area with soundings?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook