SailNet Community - View Single Post - Solomon Islands a must
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009
Future Catamaran Owner

OziDude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Peace Corps. Walked and/or biked everywhere we went. And it wasn't the heat as much as the earthquakes!

Oh yeah, Ozi, if you can - hit Mataniko Falls on your next trip. It's right outside of Honiara. It's a pretty good hike but it's insanely beautiful.

Thanks Smack,

Will definately put Mataniko on the list. I have heard about China Falls as well,also not far out of Honiara. At this stage I will be in Honiara until mid 2011. All being well (when not working) I will get out and about more than I did earlier this year.

Billyruffin - A good write up thats for sure. At this stage I havnt seen much outside of Honiara but that may change during the time Im there.

There is also a bit of a problem with communication with the outside world. Solomon Islands Telekom is not the most reliable and can cease to work at any time. It is just another way you have to adapt to Island life...nobody is really in a hurry. Everything will happen in Solomon Islands time.

I have choppered over to the Weather Coast, the terrain and isolated villages were incredible. I can only imagine what it would been like for the solidiers in WW2.

Ozi

Last edited by OziDude; 12-28-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook