SailNet Community - View Single Post - Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009
ex-Navy

bloodhunter is on a distinguished road
Agree with allstops with a caveat

We love Enchantress. She's not only a good ocean sailor but does well in the light air of the Chesapeake.
First a little history. The hull was designed under the IOR formula but just as the boat went into production the rule changed and Morgan was stuck with a boat it couldn’t sell. So it sold the mold to S&J which built the boats more or less to the buyer’s specifications – I gather some of the boats were actually finished by the buyers to save expense, However Morgan did actually produce a few of the boats, a couple complete and a few without rigging or interior finish. We have one of the hulls actually build by Morgan, same hull but in an aft-cockpit very low to the water sloop/cutter version -- it has a detachable staysail stay and running backstays.
The good news – she is a very good sea boat and sails like a witch (thus her name - Enchantress). She was build to sail at about a 20 degree angle of heel which significantly increases her waterline and speed – we’ve had her over 11 kts. Her 6 ft draft and 25000 displacement keep her from being thrown about in a seaway so she’s comfortable to sail.
On the ocean we sailed with a 110 jib and full main – she has a nice big main and I like that) occasionally reefing for comfort. In the Chesapeake we use a 135 genny .
More good news – IMHO she is one beautiful boat unlike the fat-assed 14-ft beam boats that abound in our marina (my wife calls them condominium boats). She also is very easily handled in fact we can back her into our slip which is no mean feat with a 46-ft boat without bow thrusters and a narrow fairway.
But before you buy you need to be very careful. As our surveyor told us before he found out our boat was actually built by Morgan, because how these boats were finished was almost entirely up to the buyers some were very, very good and others would not be worth buying at any price. Our boat has a lead keel. Some of the S&J boats also had lead keels, some were iron and some concrete. You need to find out which. The rudders can be a weak point but this is true of lots of boats. You will also need to pay particular attention to the area around the chainplates to make sure nothing is pulling loose. Also the keel join to the hull and the deck join to the hull.
After we got Enchantress home to the Chesapeake, I spend a couple of long winters refitting – not for safety but for comfort and cosmetics. My wife wanted a much better fresh water system and a flush toilet so I redid the plumbing. The wiring was okay for 1977 but did not meet current code and it had a fuse panel rather than breakers. I also more than doubled the size of the battery banks. I bought some Bluesea breaker panels and rewired the entire system. We also the floor was in bad shape so we had it replaced. Also the standard new cushions, sailcovers dodger and bimini. There are photos of Enchantress’ interior in my Sail Net photo gallery.
Anyway, if your boat passes survey you would be getting a very good sailor and a comfortable boat that you would be happy with.

Last edited by bloodhunter; 12-28-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook