SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are you scared of wood?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Charlie,

Thanks for the post. I've built a wooden sailboat before, and my father built several wooden boats, including a great Joel White shellback dinghy (cold molded).

Two questions: I'd like to know more about the c-flex on your hull. Is that like a fiberglass skin put over the wood, or is it a cold-molded layer?

Secondly, used wooden boats I've seen have often had wood rot issues that were pushing the limits. Fiberglass can have rotting cores, but in most cases it seems to happen more slowly. Excellent wooden boat owners are always on top of the small issues and deal with them before they become any type of issue, but owners who walk away from the wooden boat for a couple of years seem to be taking a real risk.

I think everything you say is true, but it seems like a lot of owners don't take the time to prevent or head off the issues the way they need to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aurora, a mighty Cal 20 (Portland, OR)
Southern Rival, a seasoned Rival 34 (Gosport, UK)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook