SailNet Community - View Single Post - CS 34 genoa car track
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road
CS 34 genoa car track

Trying to replace my 19 y/o genoa cars with some nice adjustable cars from Garhauer, but I am running into a problem getting the cars on the track.

The track is still very good, and I don't want to remove it or change it, but because of limited "straight line" room at each end, I will need to loosen one end or the lther to buy myself about 1/2" clearance to slide the cars on the track.

My problem is that the bottom side of the deck in this location is COMPLETELY hidden by the solid cabin roof liner - no where to even see what the below deck side of the genoa track bolts look like (can't even find a peep hole to see them from a distance!). We could argue the merits of a cabin roof liner all day (looks great, pain to work around), but this is what I have to deal with for now.

I suspect that the bolts thread into long nuts imbedded into the deck fiberglass, much like the traveler bolts were across the cabin top when I changed this a year ago. If so, I should be able to take out 3-4 bolts and get the clearance I need.

Has anyone out there removed the genoa car track on a CS34, and if so, do I need to worry about getting access to the bottom side of the deck control the nuts, and if so, how can I get this access? I know this is kind of specific, but there seems to be a tremendous amount of experience out there on Sailnet, and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook