SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are you scared of wood?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Jim, on that we can agree. However, Oh Joy had multiple hidden issues that I dug out during what was supposed to be a refit. What's cool is that I, with the few skills I possess, can do all of this work myself. When I'm done, it'll be simple maintenance to keep ahead. Anything on a wooden boat can be fixed, anything.

The C-Flex is an interesting piece of technology. It was developed as a way to build boats but soon found use by shrimpers and fishermen to extend the life of wooden boats that had hull issues. It's a cloth that has fiberglass rods running through it. It's very flexible, which makes it perfect for sheathing wood boats, if done right. The previous owners decided to go with it to protect Oh Joy (then Liberty) from torredo worms and because the new fasteners they put in only lasted 18 months because of electrolysis.

They way it's done is to strip the outside of the hull of all paint and let the boat dry for 60 days. You then caulk the boat and replace planks or refasten as needed. Then you trowel on 3M 5200. You roll the C-Flex over the 5200 and staple it down with monel staples. After this is done you wet it in with resin. Lastly you fare the hull with a fairing compound. After this you seal it with an epoxy barrier coat and paint.

The end result is a light, flexible sheathing that's bound both chemically and mechanically. Now all ya have to do is keep fresh water out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook