SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are you scared of wood?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
..........Could I do the same with a plastic boat? Maybe... I'm sure I could figure it out. Would I enjoy it as much? Probably not. I hate fiberglass work......I like working with wood.......I don't have to worry about delamination with the exception of the C-Flex and that has proven to be blister and delamination free for 16 years now so I guess I'm safe there......So, back to the maintenance issue. Varnish, plenty of it too. If properly applied, varnish, when refreshed with a couple of annual coats, will last up to 10 years......So is there really maintenance in a wooden boat than a glass one?............
All you say is true, but there is more to consider. You are sailing (or is it working?) in the Pacific Northwest. At around 30 degrees latitude and south we have clams that have evolved to use their bivalve shells like teeth and bore through wood (toredo worms). You say you like working with wood and properly applying varnish. Many of us rather be cruising than working on the boat. How many weeks of the year is your boat out of the water? I'm hauled out for maintenance on the average of two weeks every three years. I did repair a delaminated rudder in 1996. That's the only fiberglass repair I've had under the waterline since buying my first liveaboard fiberglass boat in 1971. I have removed the teak toe rails on my 37 year old Morgan and epoxied all the fastener holes. This left me with a largely maintenance free exterior. I still work on my boat. I'm currently removing, inspecting and refinishing my chainplates. We cruised back to Florida from Maine for the winter and in March we're off again for the Bahamas. For many of us, function defines beauty; therefore, my fiberglass boat that simulates a bleach bottle is beautiful. I do appreciate the beauty of a wood boat and 'would hope to have a picture of a boat like yours mounted in a plastic frame fastened to my plastic laminate bulkhead. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook