SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Multimeter
Thread: Best Multimeter
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I like the cheap ones the most because I tend to misplace them, or destroy them, so I like meters I can replace easily and inexpensively, that pretty much narrows it down to radio shack.

The next step up for me is the radio shack meter that has a serial port on it, I like that one because you can easily hook it up to something you want to measure and hook it to a computer so you can use it as a kind of data logger. Nice when you want to do something like measure the voltage over a period of time and see a graph of it, or put the data into a spreadsheet.

Measuring amperage I do in different ways, the less sophisticated way is with a clamp meter I have that plugs into the probe ports on any multimeter and basically gives a voltage reading that tells you how many amps are going through the cable you clamped on to. I usually do that first so I can make sure I am not going to destroy a more precise meter with too much amperage.

I don't have any expensive multimeters, I destroy them too often to spend money on one. I do love my scope, however.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook