SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Multimeter
Thread: Best Multimeter
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
David,

Mastech is a Chinese electronics manufacturer. They turn out some pretty good stuff. I have had their 20A 0-50VDC power supply (HY5020E) for two years, and find it very well made. Based on this, I would expect their other products to be pretty good, too.

The meter you're looking at has some very desirable features, which many less expensive meters don't. Among these are: In-rush Current measurement and Clamp-on Frequency measurement -- both are very useful for working around generators, electric motors, etc.

I have top-of-the line Fluke meters (Fluke 189 and Fluke 337), but the Mastech meters at about half the price of the Flukes would probably be good values for medium-duty service.

For really cheap multimeters, I prefer the Velleman....can be had for under $20. Handsome, rugged, functional. I open them up, adjust them to read in the 12V range exactly the values measured by my Fluke 189, and give them to my clients! Every boat should have an accurate multimeter aboard :-)

Bill

Last edited by btrayfors; 12-29-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook