SailNet Community - View Single Post - What size dinghy/motor hp for mooring access?
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009

Tempest is on a distinguished road
a few thoughts,

If you have a 30 ft boat in buzzards bay, at some point you are going to want to go somewhere: Martha's Vinyard, Nantucket, Block Island, Newport, Cuttyhunk etc etc.

I would want something that I could easily store on deck. I went with a Zodiac inflatable, with air floor/keel. A motor that you could single hand/lift off the dinghy to your boat. (by yourself) The Honda 2hp 4 stroke is very light. (27lbs) Mercury has a 2.5 and a 3 that's a little heavier ( 38lbs) That's as heavy as you'd want to go imho. The mercury 4 hp is 55 lbs, and you will have a hard time getting it onboard your big boat from your dinghy, without help, or a davits.

I went with the 4 hp, thinking I'd use it elsewhere: fishing on lakes etc, which works fine, but it's really overkill for use on my sailboat, as a tender.
I wish I had a lighter outboard when I'm cruising, the 4 hp is too heavy!

If you are loading and unloading passengers and gear for a trip, many people just motor to the dock to do that. You didn't say whether or not there was a dock at your marina.

There are an infinite number of choices in dinghys, I think mine is 10'2"
which is pretty roomy.

If you do choose an inflatable, make sure it's a Hypolon material.

Last edited by Tempest; 12-29-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook