SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Sails, opinions
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2006

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I would go to several lofts and look at the sails North,Quantum,Doyle,Hood ect.Hood makes some fine sails and have a fine price. The continuous thread heat sealed fibers is quite a piece of work. North makes great sails and uses several Dupont strands which some other companies also use but North does make great sails that are correct usually. Quantum has allot of its sails made in South Africa good sails cheep labor. Lee made in Hong Kong good sails. I think if your in the market it would be to your advantage to shop for quality and learn what the cloth is all about. Some laminate sails are great for two or three seasons then they make good sun shades at the next picnic. I like to look at cloth North will give you samples you can feel and have to give you a good idea of how the Dacron will look and feel. Keep the samples they make great patches. I like Hood made in Ireland and the way they stop the loom if one thread breaks they repair it and then move on thats quality. If your looking at a tight budget Bacons in Annapolis cuts second hand sails to fit your boat. The sail industry is very complex and interesting to learn about you may be surprised at what you will learn. Kevelar ,mylar and the high tech stuff are not for the cruising sailor. Sounds like your a club racerand need some thing in the middle a nice radial cut main by North might be in order. its all riding on what you are doing with the boat and what it is. What is it Tartan,CC, Jboat what you see.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook