SailNet Community - View Single Post - Take part in a debate around how young is too young and if it matters..
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009

Jasper Windvane is on a distinguished road
Iporcano .. If I remember my sociology, we studied why some tribes fight, and some don't, etc, and I remember that those tribes that lived in very harsh conditions didn't have much time for war, as they were just trying to survive.
The relationship here is monetary. Young Laura is well off, she has a yacht, and didn't she just take $5,000 from the bank and run off to an island? Another teen, living in a city apartment, single mom, hardly getting by can't even dream of sailing around the world. Yet, the teen who has the least would soon adapt to the lifestyle of the teen with the most very quickly.
What I wonder; if both sailed around the world, when each told about their adventure, would both see the same world? I doubt it. My guess; the teen who was poor, growing up in a difficult situation, would see the foolishness of the trip, and may not even complete it. The rich teen, who has little in the way of true life experience, would finish the trip and tell everyone how great it was. The reply would be "so what". To better understand this, read Bernard Moitessier (10 April 1925 Hanoi, Vietnam – 16 June 1994 near Paris, France) was a renowned French yachtsman and author of books about his voyages and sailing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook