SailNet Community - View Single Post - tow dingy with outboard?
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2006

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
We towed our dink bow down and the stern pulled against a fender it rode fine, motor off. Kind of a hinge like affair worked even offshore.Then we were in the Mississippi sound and a summer squall caught us at dark. The dink was slammed up and down by waves that reached ten feet in five minutes. The dink slammed the boat a dozen times before we could cut it free and get it away from us while the lightning danced on the water around us. Damaged the dink and tore the hell out of the transom.A friend towed his inflatable with a tow bridle for two hundred miles and it cost him about two hundred dollars so at a hundred dollars every hundred miles, I want mine on deck if I can it up their. It is a drag they take up space you need to sun yourself work the deck and hold a dance but they are not cheep. Another time we arrived three days after making a crossing and when we got ready to board the dink it stunk like death. The boat was full of flying fish dead stinking rotting in the sun Flying Fish. So I have gotten away with it a few times and then I have lost a few times I guess it depends on what your willing to take a chance on. The motor on is just asking for Neptune to snatch that critter as a trinket.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook