SailNet Community - View Single Post - First sail boat...
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
I have read alot of threads about the Mac 26 and it's various models. I also know that a couple years ago an American couple trailered one from Texas to near Seattle,Washington and then motor-sailed her all the way to Juneau,Alaska and back. With their hi-speed motoring capability they can obviously cover alot of ground for a sailboat in this size category. This could be of benefit to a new sailor with little weather knowledge or those who value near-coastal or inshore utility and especially speed....more than what might be called the more subtle aspects of sailing a pure sail hull shape , saving on gas, and not having to rely on a 50 hp smoke-farting bomb hanging on the stern to get you home quick if things get froggy. From what I can gather I think the Mac26 can be a great boat for certain types of sailors and it seems to have a decent holding re-sale value. It is a mutant though and many in sailing circles find it abhorrent ...trust me. I am not among that group but find the spaceship shuttlecraft aesthetics of its futuristic windows and overall "plastic" looks to be a turn-off more than it's
motorboat/sailing hybrid design. That's my take...might be a great first boat...take your time and read as much as you can before you lay down a boatload of cash on anything... and have fun out there...

Last edited by souljour2000; 12-30-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook