Originally Posted by RainDog
I have only visited marinas in that area (still in Seabrook until I finish my refit), but near Corpus your choices seem to be:
- Corpus municipal: This marina seems to be very active, have great facilities, and very good rates. Other pros seem to be active community and good racing opportunities. Cons are it is a long way to the Gulf and it is very Urban.
- Ingleside: Very inexpensive marina. Halfway between Corpus and Port A. Very spartan facilities. Main attraction seems to be the low price of slip fees.
- Port A: Great gulf access. Island Moorings seems to have great facilities IMHO being in Port A is as good as the Gulf gets. Prices here seem high for the Corpus area, but not too outrageous. Some people will tell you that Island Moorings has access problems (shallow channel) but this information seems to be out of date. Apparently the old owners ran it into the ground, but the new owners are much better.
- Rockport: I could be wrong on this, but Rockport seems to be far from good sailing waters. Very nice town with some great marinas, but I do not see the advantage to keeping a boat there if you live in Corpus. However these marinas all seem to have waiting lists, so maybe I am missing something.
- Aransas Pass: there does not seem to be much for sailboats here.
We just got back last night from looking at the marinas in the Port A/Corpus Christi area as we are moving out boat from Kemah by the end of January. Raindogs assessment is spot on. We also live in San Antonio. We bought our current boat in Kemah and it is still there. We had some work done on the boat and the options for having it done are much greater in the Kemah area. The drive there from San Antonio is a bit long.
We are going to get a slip at Island Moorings for a couple of months and then maybe move to Ingleside. This plan best fits our plans. We want easy access to both the bay and the Gulf.
The Port Aransas Municipal Marina would be great but they have about a 1 1/2 year waiting list for 36 foot sailboats right now (was told this on Monday).
There is another small yacht club/marina that belongs to the Padre Island Yacht Club. It is pretty inexpensive even with membership in the Yacht Club. I have a friend moving his boat there from Seabrook. We didn't like it because it is too far from both the bay and the ocean. It is close to the Packery Channel cut but the bridge clearance at Highway 361 is only about 20 feet!!!